[chirp_users] Can't connect to CHIRP

Jim Unroe
Mon Jun 30 17:47:12 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Robert Brostoff <imasailor01 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just purchased a new UV-5R. I have downloaded the latest version of
> CHIRP. The first time I plugged in my cable from the UV-5R to the usb port
> on my PC, running Win 7,the computer downloaded a serial driver for the
> cable and indicated that the driver was installed and is now available. I
> turned on the radio while holding down the "3" key,I received a message
> that the firmware release is BFB297.
>
>  I turned the radio off. I plugged in the cable. Then I selected "Radio"
> in CHIRP. Then I selected the Baofeng UV-5R and com 3. After a few moments
> I get an error message "Radio did not respond". I tried again, using com 5
> with the same result.
> What do I do now? I'm trying to clone the radio so that I can find the
> firmware release number.
> Bob

Bob,

Assuming that you have a programming cable with an generic copy of a
Prolific chip (most do), the driver that Windows 7 installs is incompatible
with it. You will have to downgrade the driver to v3.2.0.0 by following the
instructions on this webpage.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

You may also want to look at this page while you are at it.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ErrorMess.php#error1

Good luck,