[chirp_users] Can't connect to CHIRP

Robert Brostoff
Mon Jun 30 17:34:37 PDT 2014

I just purchased a new UV-5R. I have downloaded the latest version of
CHIRP. The first time I plugged in my cable from the UV-5R to the usb port
on my PC, running Win 7,the computer downloaded a serial driver for the
cable and indicated that the driver was installed and is now available. I
turned on the radio while holding down the "3" key,I received a message
that the firmware release is BFB297.

 I turned the radio off. I plugged in the cable. Then I selected "Radio" in
CHIRP. Then I selected the Baofeng UV-5R and com 3. After a few moments I
get an error message "Radio did not respond". I tried again, using com 5
with the same result.
What do I do now? I'm trying to clone the radio so that I can find the
firmware release number.
Bob