[chirp_users] Fwd: Re: Linux My CHIRP Protests

Dan Smith
Wed Jun 25 11:10:16 PDT 2014

> The first line in the chirpw fiile says:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python2

Then it should be running in python 2.x, which is fine.

> Which is what   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/python says it
> should be to use python2.
>
> I have no py27 so the command py27 chirpw fails.
>
> So it appears that I still have python2 installed and the heading in
> chirpw is correct.

Yes.

> I make a symbolic link from python2 to py27 so I can use a command like
> you suggest.
>
> # ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/py27
> # ls /usr/bin/py27 -l
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jun 25 13:47 /usr/bin/py27 -> /usr/bin/python2
>
> # py27 chirpw

You don't need to do this based on the above.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "chirpw", line 25, in <module>
>     import gtk
> ImportError: No module named gtk

This is it trying to import gtk, not pygtk. Do this:

% python2
Python 2.7.5+ (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:37:08)
[GCC 4.8.1] on linux2
>>> import pygtk
>>> import gtk

Verify that it's running Python 2.x, and try to do those two imports
without seeing the ImportError. If you can't, then you're missing
something on your system, completely independent of CHIRP.

I'm not familiar with Arch (other than to know that it's really not the
ideal choice for user-friendliness) so I can't help much. I don't know
what the package names are, or how they split apart python libraries to
tell you what to install. Maybe someone else here is more familiar and
can help out.

Good luck!

--Dan