[chirp_users] Fwd: Re: Linux My CHIRP Protests

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Wed Jun 25 10:55:34 PDT 2014

Hello Dan,

Thank you.

I have python2 installed.

The first line in the chirpw fiile says:

#!/usr/bin/python2

Which is what   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/python says it should
be to use python2.

I have no py27 so the command py27 chirpw fails.

So it appears that I still have python2 installed and the heading in chirpw
is correct.

I make a symbolic link from python2 to py27 so I can use a command like you
suggest.

# ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/py27
# ls /usr/bin/py27 -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jun 25 13:47 /usr/bin/py27 -> /usr/bin/python2

# py27 chirpw
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chirpw", line 25, in <module>
    import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

Finding pygtk:

# locate pygtk
/usr/bin/pygtk-codegen-2.0
/usr/bin/pygtk-demo
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pyglib.h
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pygobject.h
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pygtk
/usr/include/pygtk-2.0/pygtk/pygtk.h
/usr/lib/pygtk
<SNIP SNIP>

I guess chirpw is failing only because it cannot find and import pygtk.

If I knew what I was doing it would help you I am sure, but you're stuck
with ignorance on this end.

But I take directions pretty well.

Any suggestions?

With gratitude,