[chirp_users] Fwd: Re: Linux My CHIRP Protests

Dan Smith
Wed Jun 25 07:47:20 PDT 2014

> Python 3 is now standard for ARCH Linux.

That has nothing to do with it. If you can't also install a python 2
runtime, then you need to get a different distro. Python 3 is part of
the standard install of Ubuntu too, but they also include a Python 2
runtime because so many things still require it (anything that uses
pygtk, for starters).

> Is there a beta version of CHIR that works under python 3?

No. Python 3 is not compatible with Python 2, and PyGTK will never be
ported to Python 3. Making CHIRP support Python 3 will require a
substantial rewrite of its entire UI to use the new bindings. It will
happen someday, but not any time soon.

Google for "python 3 pygtk" and you'll see a lot of similar confusion.

Looks like all you have to do is install the python2 package in Arch:

  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/python

...and as I said, arrange for chirp to be run by /usr/bin/python2
instead of /usr/bin/python.

--Dan