[chirp_users] "Most unusual" "Radio did not ack programming mode"

Richard Haney
Wed Jun 11 15:06:09 PDT 2014

Many thanks, Jim, for clarifying the fact that the RESET directions in the
Baofeng manual are incorrect.  My usual presumption is that the
manufacturer knows best, and so I consulted the manual.  But when the
procedure did not work with the [FM] button as described in the manual, I
had the nagging feeling that I saw some similar directions somewhere
involving the [MENU] button.  But I was not sure whether that was in
reference to some other piece of equipment or for doing some other type of
operation, and I recall having the impression that that was something I
should be careful about, and, based on experience, I figured it was a good
idea to be cautious and to not go pressing buttons in "button-happy"
fashion without more-definite knowledge on the matter.

Anyway, I realized that I had a miklor.com-alleged "no-issues"
Windows-XP-specific driver <http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php>
installed on my Dell D800 laptop running Windows XP.  So I tried using
CHIRP on the D800 and it seemed to work fine, without any error messages.

So I installed the driver that miklor.com suggested
<http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php> for Win 7 on my Dell XPS.  And
then CHIRP worked fine on my Dell XPS (with Win 7) as well.  So the problem
is resolved.  Hooray!

But it appears at least few items of info need to be corrected and/or
clarified on the miklor.com <http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php> web
site in this connection.

One is that the lack of a yellow triangle with exclamation mark next the
device indication in the device manager does not mean that a good cable
driver is installed for the device, contrary to a statement in the
miklor.com directions <http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php>.

Another is the strong suggestion
<http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ErrorMess.php> that the error message "Radio
did not ack programming mode" is likely to be a hardware problem (provided
the plug is plugged in to the radio and the radio is turned on).  A natural
presumption seemed to be that, due to miklor.com hardware suggestions and
due to the erratic/haphazard then finally permanent nature of the problem,
the problem was an intermittent hardware problem and not a driver issue.
 But it tuns out, surprisingly, especially regarding the intermittency,
that that presumption is not a good one.

And a third item in need of correction
<http://www.miklor.com/UVB5/UVB5-ProgMem.php> (or at least clarification)
is the (erroneous) suggestion that the SHIFT direction can be modified in
channel mode.

I'll plan to contact the miklor.com people about those items.