[chirp_users] "Most unusual" "Radio did not ack programming mode"

Pete Mackie
Tue Jun 10 19:21:11 PDT 2014

Richard,

I apologize for flaming on regarding the quality of the CHIRP radio memory management utility. I certainly misunderstood who your complaining about having a lack of good engineering.

That being said, the Chinese do not perform any “basic engineering design.”  Instead, what they “sort of” do is copy someone else’s design with little or no true engineering discipline let alone exactly know what they are copying. This is how they can build a radio in China and then pay to ship it all the way to the US for distribution sales, for a price with profit of $35. What you get for this price is what you see and don’t expect any more.

If you pay $200 to $300 for a HT, even if its was designed and manufactured anywhere in Asia, then you would have a right to complain about the design quality, et al. And these level of Asian vendors all provide local to US support via email and direct telephone calls.

Pete