[chirp_users] Unused Fields Option and the missing NONE selections

John LaMartina
Thu Jul 31 05:18:35 PDT 2014

The proper channel for this type of request is submitting a Bug Report/Service Request which can be found at:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/issues

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Mike Morrow
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:13 AM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: [chirp_users] Unused Fields Option and the missing NONE selections

Well thanks for the tongue lashing (that's a little overboard) but it was a little lecture on the "Hide Unused Fields" checkbox and
how it is now going to be the default and solve all my problems.

IT DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!  Read on to learn why.

So I load up my data and change the option to hide unused fields. OK, all those pesky 88.5s in the sheet magically disappear.  OK,
great.

But then I change one of the PLs to 100.0.  Oops, since there are no horizontal lines to help guide me across a sea of blankness, I
got one off and meant to change the next one down.  OK, just set it back off by ... uhhhh...  THERE IS NO "NONE" selection.  I
CANNOT SET IT BACK TO OFF!!  Aww nuts, now I have to either delete this memory and enter it in again or kill all my updates and
reload the sheet and start again.
Neither is a good thing to have to do because of a missing option in a box on a sheet without any guide rules (lines) to help me get
it right in the first place.

You see, good programming practice is good programming practice.
Band-Aids are NOT GOOD PROGRAMMING PRACTICE.

Not sorry about the screaming.  I worked in computers for 30+ years.  I was trained and also taught myself and taught classes about
good programming practice.  And what CHIRP is trying to do with this Band-Aid is just plain wrong.  If you can set something on, you
must be able to set it off, too.

As I said.  If I had produced something like this and put it out to the field, I would have been fired!

Now it is time that someone, somewhere in the organization realized that there HAS to be a NONE selection to turn off a PL or any
other selection that is no longer needed or was entered by mistake.  And as far as I can tell, that is not possible since there is
no NONE selection.

Am I wrong?  If so, I apologize in advance and await another tongue lashing.

Thanks to all for all the hard work but someone missed a standard design point on multiple of the columns.

Mike