[chirp_users] Straightening out mixed terminology

Paul Plasters
Tue Apr 8 12:55:43 PDT 2014

You are likely to get answers from some about all the differences.  I am going to try to help you on the tone question:
Tone codes are built into your radio, starting at 77 I think to 156.7 , maybe higher on some radios. in steps.
Tone Mode off or on
Tone - frequency of tone for tone that turns the repeater on listening to your radio.
Tone SQL (Squelch)  is a tone that you can enter so your radio only hears transmitters using the same tone on their transmit signals.
DTCS = digital tones instead of analog tones
DTCS TX code digital version of tone sql.
DTCS POL  not sure, might be a way to find what DTCS signal another signal has on it.

In the top example "146.445 this is an odd setup for a regular repeater, it has a 1 meg split (common on 440 but not on 2 metere)  The top (77.6) is the tone to use on your transmitter to key up that repeater, the 156.7 is the tone to put on your receiver so that the transmitter will key up your receiver.  If you do not put any tone in for your receiver, all signals will key it up so unless there is an interference problem omit that part.

Hope this sheds some light.  73 Paul