[chirp_users] cannot read from com port

Andrew Errington
Thu Oct 3 23:01:53 PDT 2013

The typical cause of this problem is that the the com port permissions
are set by the 'dialout' group and the user is not a member of the
'dialout' group.  Check the permissions of the port, and the
membership of the user.

If the user must be added to the 'dialout' group then once you have
done that don't forget to logout and login again as that user, or the
new group membership won't take effect.

It's possible that this is not your problem, but it's very common,
easy to check, and easy to eliminate.  It would be a good place to
start.

Andrew