[chirp_users] cannot read from com port

eric oyen
Thu Oct 3 20:38:42 PDT 2013

ok,
I have chirp installed on a ubuntu 13.04 box. Its operation appears to be a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it will run and display the program frame. other times it just sits there and is invisible to the orca screen reader.

the second issue is that it can't seem to obtain permissions to read from the com port (which is a prolific device on a USB dongle). I have confirmed that the device is loaded and working properly (I can set up a terminal session between 2 machines with it). However, all attempts (that are visible to me) result in the error "cannot read from device. Permission denied".

I have tried running it from a terminal session using sudo and it won't even become visible to my screen reader.

In case you are wondering, I am blind. So, I need a little help here.

now, I have made sure that my user is administrator on the machine, so there shouldn't be this problem. suggestions?

-eric