[chirp_users] How do I run Chirp on a Mac?

Dave Nathanson
Wed Nov 13 06:57:48 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM, John M. Prosser <jmprosserrvm at charter.net> wrote:
> Using Intel-based Mac mini, OS 10.6.8. I have followed the directions as well as I could to make a USB drive, but can't see how to use it. Lots of files on the drive, but nothing jumps out at me as a startup file. I hope some of the experts on this list can tell me where I am going wrong.
>
> Morris  KB6QR
>

> Morris,
> As others have stated, you may want to install CHIRP natively on your Mac. But if you have installed CHIRP LiveCD properly on a USB drive and want to give it a try, you would reboot your Mac and boot up using the OS on the USB drive (completely bypassing the Mac OS). On a non-Mac computer you may have to configure the BIOS to allow booting from a USB drive or at least be able to choose to boot up from the USB drive. You may have to do something similar on your Mac (I'm not a Mac person).
> Jim KC9HI

Hey Jim,
Macs don't have BIOS like that. To choose a boot device on a Mac, hold down the option/alt key at startup. This will display all startup volumes, including hard drives, CDs, USB sticks, etc. Use the arrow keys to select, then the return key to continue.
Hope that helps.

Best,
 Dave Nathanson
 Mac Medix