[chirp_users] CHIRP 0.3.0 Released

Dan Smith
Fri Feb 8 16:38:26 PST 2013

CHIRP version 0.3.0 has been released. This is a major revision from
the previous stable version 0.2.3 and includes a hefty number of bug
fixes, features, and support for new radio models.

The full story is detailed in the issue tracker here:

http://goo.gl/qhqng

Below is a summary of higher-level changes:

New radios now supported:
- Baofeng UV-5R
- Icom IC-208H
- Icom IC-T7H
- Icom IC-T8A
- Icom IC-746
- Kenwood TM-G707
- TYT TH-UV3R
- TYT TH-UVF1
- Yaesu FT-1802M
- Wouxun KG-UV6D/UV6X

Major new features:
- Better serial port enumeration on Windows
- Automatic split->offset conversion during import when odd-split is
  not supported
- Per-memory extra settings and detailed editing
- TravelPlus importing
- RadioReference importing

This cycle has seen more contributors to CHIRP than ever before. What
started as a one-man show, later saw a few patches from outsiders here
and there, has become a more proper team with consistent contributions
from "the regulars." This is good for CHIRP and its users of course,
and definitely good for me specifically. The folks that contributed a
patch between 0.2.3 and 0.3.0 are:

Changes | Author
    289 | Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com>
     86 | Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us>
     60 | Marco Filippi <iz3gme.marco at gmail.com>
     19 | Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
      4 | David Griffith <dave at 661.org>
      2 | Johan Adler <johan.adler at gmail.com>
      1 | Ed Santiago <esm at r.edsantiago.com>
      1 | Eric Allen <ericpallen at gmail.com>
      1 | Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj at xenotropic.com>

That adds up to 463 individual changes betwen 0.2.3 and 0.3.0.

If you're a user of one of the following families of radios, you may
want to thank a developer specifically, as they either wrote or babysit
specific drivers:

- Yaesu FT-8x7 and Wouxun UV6: Marco Filippi
- Yaesu VX-series handhelds and recent Kenwoods: Tom Hayward
- Baofeng UV-5R: Jim Unroe

This is by no means a comprehensive list of folks to thank, but the
above individuals consistently spend time on the these radios to make
sure that they work well.

The usual downloads can be had on the aptly-named page on the website:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

I will try to get the PPA archive updated in the next week with a
release package for the Ubuntu users.

If you're a user of the daily builds, you have the option of getting
off that train and running this build at this point. However, the
following daily builds will build on top of this, so if you prefer to
stay on the bleeding edge, you won't be missing anything by sticking
with those instead of the release.

We feel pretty good about the current build, but as the stable releases
are more likely to get widespread attention than the dailies, we expect
to cut an 0.3.1 release soon with fixes for things that are reported by
folks upgrading from 0.2.3.