[chirp_users] Help needed, can't write to Yaesu FT-60

chirp.cordless at xoxy.net
Sun Sep 30 10:37:59 PDT 2012

Thought I'd follow up on this for the benefit of any Mac users who want to
use the RT Systems cables. Thanks for the hint about this being an FTDI chip
and working with the oem driver. Further research confirms it, and I now have it
working with the oem FTDI driver under OS X 10.8.2. I still appreciate
RT Systems providing a driver for those (like I was two days ago) that don't know
about this and just want it to work. Whatever their motivation, it helped in the short run.

But I'd rather know I have no further dependency on RT Systems for driver versions
for OSX 10.9 etc, and I'd prefer not to waste space on a second copy of the same
FTDI  driver I already had.

FTDI has a technical note TN_105
"Adding Support for New FTDI Devices to MAC Serial Driver"
available at http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalNotes.htm

Essentially the process involves adding a dozen or so lines of cut-and-paste
xml to the text file Info.plist within the driver package, to create another in the
list of "IOKitPersonalities", which already had 398 of them. Just add an
entry for this VID/PID.

It's now working just fine in Chirp with the RT Systems driver de-installed.

The shell command instructions in the note probably work if you copy
them exactly; I found them a bit clumsy and did it a little differently.
What's important is what goes in Info.plist.

Thanks again for the great support from this community,

-dan