[chirp_users] Exporting D72 memories never finishes

Dan Smith
Mon Jun 4 10:45:45 PDT 2012

> Ah. I sat there waiting while it downloaded all 1000 channels because I
> didn't realize I could edit as it was working on that. I can see the
> benefit of having the radio verify each entry as it's being written but
> I don't like the idea that every modification is immediately written to
> the radio. I would prefer consistent behavior for each supported radio
> wherever possible, that of a document rather than a database approach.
> Just my preference of course. The desire to use channel checking by the
> D72 is not mutually exclusive with this approach. The changed channel
> would simply be queued and written when 'save' is selected.

Some other folks prefer the opposite, of course. It takes several
minutes to download my ID880 (for example). It's image-based, which
means the minimum time to do a download, add a channel, and upload the
result is probably seven minutes. If I get distracted in the middle
(which I always do), it's more like thirty minutes. With one of my live
radios (like your D72) I can make a change like that in less than sixty
seconds.

If you prefer the image-based approach, download the entire radio,
export to CSV and make your edits there. You can then make a bunch of
changes to that and only push the result to your radio when you're done.