[chirp_users] Using CHIRP with UBUNTU

daemons_ca at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 13:31:41 PDT 2012

Geoffrey,

No driver needed. USB serial devices are detected by the kernel.

It's very easy. Just edit the /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 or 1 whichever was detected.

Do a
ls -alt /dev/ttyU*
in a terminal window to find which device it used after you've plugged in the cable.

You'll get something like this:
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jul 27 16:18 /dev/ttyUSB0

Make sure your user is part of the dialout group to avoid having to run Chirp as root.

Enjoy,

Marc-Andre, Ve2evn