[chirp_users] Chirp IndexError

Dan Smith
Wed May 4 16:02:45 PDT 2011

> It is the Prolific chipset and the drivers appear to work, having
> created /dev/cu.usbserial. I'm sad to report that this is helpful,
> but I'm still at a point where things don't work. The beginner's
> guide perhaps assumes that the radio is already set up to be cloned?
> I've tried cloning with the radio off, on, in clone mode, and in
> clone mode ready to TX. All of these results fail. The VX-6R is a
> pretty common radio, so I can't be the first user to have tried this
> and run into issues. I'm looking for further suggestions, and I'd be
> happy to update the beginner's guide to be more comprehensive for new
> users.

Well, first off, the beginner's guide comes from a time where CHIRP only
supported Icom radios.  Unlike Yaesu radios, Icom radios require no
special incantation to get them to initiate their clone, so the
procedure is purely software.  It definitely needs some updating.

The procedure you need to follow is this:

1. Turn on the radio in clone mode
2. In chirp, go to "download from radio", choose your serial port, and
    hit okay.  Wait for the box with the yet-to-be-filled progress bar
    to appear
3. Hit the button on your VX-6 that puts it into TX mode.
4. Beer (hopefully)

The trick is to make sure that the receiving side is "ready" before you
start the transmitter.  When programming back to the radio, reverse the
steps and make sure that the radio is in RX mode before you hit okay on
the chirp window to start the procedure.

Unfortunately, Yaesus are quite intolerant of deviations in the
procedure and don't provide either side with an indication of the state
of the other.  Makes it kinda clunky.

Let me know how you make out!