[chirp_users] testing new CHIRP with new radios

jim gibbens
Mon Aug 15 13:46:20 PDT 2011

 Hello-

Dan has kindly added two new radios to the list at my request:  the Yaesu FT-2800m and the Kenwood TH-K2.  I also have an Icom W32A and have been testing CHIRP with it.  I'm using the 8/11 daily build. My approach to testing is as follows.

1) Use CHIRP to read a "known good" parameter set from the radio and see if the data appears to be correct.
2) Use CHIRP to write the same file back to the radio and see if the radio works as it did with the original parameter set.
3) Use CHIRP to create a common file and write it to all three radios and verify that the radios works correctly with the new file

FT-2800m
CHIRP appears to pass
Step 1&2, have not tried 3 yet

TH-K2
CHIRP appear to export the Tone field from the radio correctly, but does not export the Tone field from the radio download to csv or chirp files; in those export files, the Tone field is left blank.

IC-W32A
The Tone fields as imported by CHIRP from the radio are all changed to 67 Hz, unless the tone is 67 Hz, in which case the Tone field is left blank.

I've attached the .img files as downloaded from the radios, the chirp file exported after the download, and .mcp and .icw32 files from the Kenwood and RT systems programs that I have used for the THK@ and W32A in the past.

Regards,

Jim Givens
KJ7F