[chirp_users] Thoughts after looking at the most recent build

Ron McKenzie
Tue Aug 9 11:07:15 PDT 2011

Bob,

Thanks for the education. For a short time, back about 1978 to 1981, I
converted a Motoroal base station into the first 147.61 repeater for
Vail, CO. I seem to recall that PL was just beginning to be used by some
PDs in Denver but none of the ones in my area of the Western Slope. From
1981 until recently, I've been away from ham radio and not following
current developments and the evolution of practices.

So, some more questions. Use of CTCSS or DCS is a "local option" and the
decision to use it on a repeater's retransmission is a separate local
decision. Using the same PL tone (or DCS code) on the repeater's input
and output has evolved into a "usual and customary practice" and is not
a requirement. Further, it is used in an attempt to restrict a repeater
to only retransmitting signals that are really intended for it and its
users. Adding that tone or code to the repeater's output merely adds
value for the user since spurious signals on the repeaters output freq
are "hidden".

Further, many of the UHF/VHF ham radio manufacturers have built the
usual and customary practices re: CTCSS tone/DCS code use into their
radios to simplify circuit design and complexity. The consequence is
that it reinforces the usual and customary practices. An unintended
consequence is that users assume that the usual and customary is an
absolute, immutable rule. It alsomakes life substantially more difficult
for the admin/operator who needs to use different CTSS tones or DCS
codes on a repeater's input and output frequencies. I know of a system
(Colorado Connection) where there are a few VHF-VHF links in a larger
system.

Have I captured the gist of the matter, Bob?

Again, thanks for the explanation. After I sort out a few more "things"
I'm going to become more active around here and try to meet some of the
folks who maintain local repeaters. As an aside, one thing that puzzle2
s me is the general lack of traffic that I hear. One of those "things"
is building or buying better antennas for my QTH (covenant-restricted
subdivison) and my van.

73 de KK4DBR, Ron
EL98fk    Windermere, Orange Cty, Florida
living in the massive shadow of a wee rodent