[chirp_users] Thoughts after looking at the most recent build

Dan Smith
Tue Aug 9 08:41:03 PDT 2011

> About half of the repeaters that I've come across do transmit tone
> squelch which makes monitoring and scanning that much more pleasant.

Amen.

> I've only come across three repeaters in my area so far that use
> DCS.

I (co-)run one that uses DCS. It's the only one I know of :)

I don't know any of the current "ham" radios that support different DCS
codes on the input and output (the same goes for tones), nor do I know
of any of them that allow you to send DCS without requiring it on
receive. In other words, you can transmit a tone without needing it on
receive, but you cannot only transmit a DCS code.

I recognize that this limits chirp's applicability to a very few niche
ham repeaters and/or potentially some commercial repeaters. I'm
certainly not saying that CHIRP *shouldn't* support such operation, but
I don't think the audience is wide enough to justify me spending time on
it instead of something else. If I'm wrong here, please speak up.