[chirp_users] Thoughts after looking at the most recent build

Ron McKenzie
Tue Aug 9 15:18:25 PDT 2011

On 8/9/2011 9:45 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> 1. Why did you delete the Name field?
> The UV-3R doesn't support names, so that column shouldn't be displayed
> when editing such a file. It's still supported in CSV, of course.
DOH, you're right, I was looking at chirp's display of the image (hex)
file and mistook it for the CSV file; once I opened that, the Name field
was there, waving it's little paw at me.
> <smip>
>> I don't see where the UV-3R uses the DTCS Polarity information at all;
>> it does not appear to be an option as I read my .dat file.
> Yes, it can. When you're entering a DTCS code on the front panel, press
> the menu button and it will change from N (normal) to I (inverted).
Where in UV-3R's file is this stored? And, similarly, where do they
store the BCLO (xmt lock-out while channel in use) flag by channel?

It appears to me that Baofeng/Vero is using offsets (bytes) 04 and 09 in
each 16-byte frequency (or channel structure) word to designate the
CTCSS tone or DCS code. From what I see, there are 50 CTCSS tone codes
and 104 DCS codes. Do I double that last number to account for the 2
polarities? If so, that means I'm trying to store 258 distinct bit codes
in a max 16-bit hex byte (00-FF)..

In the words of the MC at the melodrama, we have 6 beautiful girls and 4
lovely costumes.

  Is what you classify as DTCS "R" polarity what the Baofeng folks
designate as "I"?

Thanks and 73 de KK4DBR Ron