[chirp_users] Help with Chirp: will download but not upload

Brian Mury
Sat Jan 2 07:14:34 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 08:16 -0500, Jay D. Carter wrote:
>                 Can someone confirm for me that the radio should
> indicate ‘CLONE IN’ when Chirp is uploading? It seems it should since
> it shows ‘CLONE OUT’ when downloading.

My 2820 says "CLONE OUT" when downloading and "CLONE IN" when uploading,
along with a progress bar at the bottom of the LCD. When downloading is
finished, it restarts; when uploading is finished, it says "CLONE END"
until I manually power cycle it.

I am using Fedora 12 and connecting via the data port with a homemade
cable. My current version of CHIRP is 0.1.8b3 - guess it's time to
download a newer version! I'll do that this morning and post back if it
does not work (if you don't hear from me, it works).

BTW, I get similar behaviour to you if I try to upload using the Icom
software (CS-2820) in either WINE or VirtualBox (though I think the
screen still says CLONE OUT - haven't tried it in a long time), and
powercycling the radio after the upload fails causes the radio to be
reset to factory defaults. This probably isn't relevant to your problem.
The Icom software does work from a native Windows installation (but I
don't normally have one of those around).

Brian
VE7NGR