[chirp_users] CHIRP 0.1.7b5

Dan Smith
Mon Oct 20 06:41:59 PDT 2008

> Confirmed. Thanks for adding that.  I deleted Mem 50 from my radio
> and tried to Import Mem 50 from my ic2820.img file (created in
> 0.1.7b4).  I was able to select the appropriate memory but when I
> pressed the go button chirpw crashed and the entry was not written to
> the radio.  I've sent you the debug log separately and it is the last
> set of entries in the log.

Yeah, my guess is that you imported a non-DV channel, or there was a
non-DV channel on either side of channel 50.  The handhelds change
behavior on their serial port when DV mode is enabled, which is very
annoying.

> MYCALL entries are now displaying correctly, which they weren't in
> previous versions.  Although I can Add/Remove entries to the list, I
> can't Edit an existing entry.

Ah, yeah, I can fix that.

> As soon as I make a change in the MYCALL field then CHIRP re-reads
> all 400 of the memories again, which can take a couple of minutes to
> complete in the background.  If I make 2 changes then it re-reads the
> complete contents twice.

Right, this is because the 800 and the 2200 need to re-read their
memories.  However, I should make it only do that for those radios.  You
don't notice on the radios that read from a file, but the handhelds are
different, of course.

So, I take this to mean that when you open up your handheld, the first
thing you do is change the range to 0-400 and then go get coffee while
it loads the entire radio onto the screen?

> Yep, CHIRP inserted a new line and incremented all of the memories
> until it found a blank space at Mem 31.  In this case I had 400
> memories displayed on the IC92AD Band B and I inserted a new line at
> memory 29. What surprised me though was that it then re-read all of
> the memories eg: Mems 001 - 400 which took quite a lot of time. Given
> the content didn't change below Mem 31 (in this example) does CHIRP
> need to re-read all of the other memories?  The same occurred when I
> deleted (and shift up) a memory.  Functionally this works, but it is
> quite slow.

Well, it's instantaneous on all the other radios, and it would only take
a few seconds if you didn't have your view set to 0-400 :)

The point of doing the re-sync after such an operation is to avoid the
case where we modify the radio in some way, and potentially alter the
state of the GUI in a slightly different way, but don't show you than
until much later.  The re-sync gives us a nice baseline, because
shifting the memories in that way is a pretty complex operation, as you
might imagine.

Try this on your 2820, and I'll see if I can come up with something I'm
comfortable with to avoid the re-sync :)

dsmith#danplanet.com, s/#/@/