[chirp_devel] Python 3 Status (Where to help)

Dan Smith
Thu Nov 19 13:09:16 PST 2020

> Let me start by saying I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this. I know the python 3 issue has come up a couple times in the past, and usually not in a good way.
>
> I've been running off the py3 branch locally with a UV-5R. For the most part it works. (I had an issue with it saving settings.) I see that there is a py3 version in the bugtracker (https://chirp.danplanet.com/versions/21) with some open tickets.
>
> Where would be the best place for me to focus on to get the py3 branch ready? Or should I just work at fixing anything as I find it and submit bugs and patches to the bugtracker?

The UI needs more work to come up to parity with the main branch, and of course, the majority of the drivers still need to be converted (no, 2to3 isn't enough) and tested for real. To be honest, with everything going on this year, I'm not super interested in spending a lot of time on it right now at the expense of everything else I've got going on. The flatpak build now means linux people can run it without needing distro support for py2 or going to great lengths. I expect Apple is going to screw us (further) here pretty soon, although I'm not sure even py4 can save us from that.

You're welcome to send me patches against the py3 branch if you want (please make them obvious), but I have to prioritize fixes and stuff on the main branch just out of respect to the 99.9% of users that it impacts.

--Dan