[UAT] TNC-Pi on I2C bus

Janos Tolgyesi
Wed Apr 3 08:28:02 PDT 2013

I tried to find another way to setup a more confortable tracker on RPi.
Becuase in this moment I dont able to swich the TNC-RPi from the serial
line access to the possible I2C bus, I started to examine my gps modul.
This is a small, nice module, with the MTK chipset in it, this is from
MediaTek. The module produced by Quectel, and its name is L10. But it is
not the end of the producer-chain, because this module need some small
additional parts, power unit, level shift/converters, USB and antenna
connectors. This was made buy a small serbian comapany,  on a small
additional PCB, the ready-to-use modul name is GPS Click L10. In the small
dokumantation we can read, the modul is accessible on serial port, on i2c
bus, and on usb. But there is another notes: to use on usb is not
recommended, and the i2c use not supported by the present firmware, if you
want to use, can ask the producer..another note: If you attache it on
Windows on USB, the op system recognizes it, dont need any driver. I tried
it on XP, but it didnot recognized. Finally I found a utility on linux,
support this MediaTek MTK gps chipsets, its name is mtkbabel. If I install
it, come up a usb/serial device, /dev/ttyACM0, and on this can read the
nmea data words.
But it seems, this serial line use the same hardware lines, on the UART: it
dont work together with the TNC-RPi, which is use on RPI the /dev/ttyAMA0.
t.janos