[drats_users] Linux recommendation for older Laptop.

Joel Black
Sat Jan 4 16:55:08 PST 2014

I just recently loaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my media / backup server. I
still do not like the Unity desktop, but I don't have to look at it a
lot - it's a server. I picked Ubuntu because it probably has the most
user friendly forums and there was a how-to for setting up Plex and
CrashPlan for it *and* that computer is quite capable of running Ubuntu.

Several years ago, the developer of Mint got into political arguments on
his forums. For *that* reason, I will not use Mint. However, it is
probably the most popular distro out there. I get that from distrowatch,
nothing I know first hand. People like the way Mint has kept its desktop
(I think called Cinnamon, but I could be mistaken).

Xubuntu uses XFCE for a desktop interface and Lubuntu uses something
called LXDE.

For a side-by-side comparison of the *buntu derivatives, go here:
http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2012/04/ubuntu-1204-vs-xubuntu-1204-vs-kubuntu.html

All of that said, I am *no* Linux guru or anything resembling a
"knowledgeable user" when it comes to Linux. I do a lot of googling to
find what I need. For example, I couldn't get the xscreensaver to load
at startup on my server (okay, okay, that's the one time I look at the
desktop, when the screensaver is running). I quick google search got me
going.

Me? Thanks to Windows 8, I prefer a Mac.

All of the *buntu derivatives are maintained and the LTS (of which 12.04
is one), it's maintained for five years.

73,
Joel - W4JBB