[drats_users] Internet email gateway

Rob Salsgiver
Fri Feb 7 08:13:12 PST 2014

Should be 0.3.3, but I confess I didn’t verify it when I downloaded and installed them last week.

I’ll be able to get things set back up on Saturday as well and can take some screenshots.

As an aside for anyone who’s interested, our club has participated for the last 3-4 years in a science fair at a local elementary school.   Over the years we’ve done a number of different demonstrations, and this year we had one that used an IC-92AD going through a DVAP dongle doing voice and two stations doing the D-Rats RF demo.  We had a lot of fun with the kids – sometimes the hardest part was simply getting them involved.  Most of the kids were probably 8-12 or so.  Once we got their minds onto the topic of radio and started drawing connections between CW, TV, car radios, and cell phones, our demo of being able to send email,  text, and files via D-Rats without a radio station or cell phone system resonated both with the kids and their parents.  There were a number of adults and teachers attending the event that were really amazed that this was part of amateur radio.

We also had one member create CW oscillators, a another operate a VHF station where kids talked to other club members around our county via repeater.  In past years we’ve done HF stations and even had one of the local EM commvans out.

In our area we’ve had some good proponents of D-Star’s advantages but few working demos – which is one of the reasons I’m trying to get some of this stuff “nailed down” and working – if I can get the time I would like to put together a “D-Rats/D-Star for Dummies” guide to help others out as well.

Rob, NR3O

From: drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Mike Heitmann
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2014 4:25 AM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] Internet email gateway

Hi Rob,

What version of D-RATS?

I'm in Orlando for business (and staying the weekend for HamCation) but I'll try and duplicate this on my home system in Missouri next week.

Mike, N0SO

On Feb 7, 2014, at 2:33 AM, "Rob Salsgiver" <rob at nr3o.com> wrote:

No joy.  Demo went fine, but was not able to do Internet mail outbound.  Only had 1 rule defined, and that was for the remote RF station to be able to send both ways without a filter string.

Will setup the radios here at home again this weekend and give it another go, as I would like to have this nailed down for future demos.  If anyone has other ideas, please let me know!  I’ll see if I can do screenshots of the setups for reference and post them.

Cheers,

Rob / NR3O