[drats_users] ERROR Correction in slow speed data

John Davis
Fri Sep 20 12:53:16 PDT 2013

My understanding is that the low speed data channel does NOT have error correction, however, D-RATS offers Error correction in Message and File Transfer modes where it is most important.

John WB4QDX

From: drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dave Welker
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:19 PM
To: D-Rats Mailing List
Subject: [drats_users] ERROR Correction in slow speed data

Hello all,
Can anyone confirm if the D-RATS slow speed data has FEC (Forward Error Correction) built in now or not?
I understand that D-STAR voice does have error correction built in.  I've checked on the D-RATS home page/documentation
which is a August 2009 reference.

This is what I found in this document Under users manual/files:  Is this still current information?

Unlike the D-STAR DV Voice Channel, which has error correction built into the protocol, the Data Sub-channel has no error correction.

This makes the transfer of data across D-STAR a lot more dependant on a good radio path being established between the two locations wishing to

exchange data.  D-RATS includes the ability to test connectivity between two locations.

Thanks in advance
regards
Dave
W2SRP

Goals are where we want to be;
Objectives are the steps to get there.

There are 2 rules to success in life:
1. Don't tell people everything you know.