[drats_users] D-StarQuery D-RATS Plugin

Woodrick, Ed
Wed Jan 23 12:39:08 PST 2013

Jonathan,

Where are getting your statistics from? From all of my sources, the numbers that you quote are very wrong.

>From the ircDDB site, the number of systems running ircDDB and G2 are similar, but this really isn't a fair comparison since many G2 systems also have ircDDB loaded.

Even the number of ircDDB only systems vs G2 only are very similar. But remember that MANY ircDDB systems are low coverage hot spots and are not real repeater located at repeater sites, whereas all of the G2 systems are repeaters and most are running at high sites.

So I safely say the G2 IS STILL THE PRIMARY REPEATER software! And only about half of the G2 repeaters run ircDDB.

Also, Icom repeaters outnumber non-Icom repeaters 2 to 1. And only about half the Icom systems run ircDDB.

Please keep your facts straight.

Ed WA4YIH

From: drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Naylor
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:18 AM
To: Josh Housey; Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] D-StarQuery D-RATS Plugin

That all supposes that you're using the legacy Icom G2 software and associated add-ons. The world has moved on and the newer ircDDB systems don't use DSM and have no need to. I think you'll find that the ircDDB systems outnumber the G2 systems and that the G2 system is now relegated to history.

Note that the newer ircDDB systems have built-in support for D-RATS and also include other clever bits to allow for status messages and such like.

Using the slow data area with any sort of FEC is asking for trouble.

Jonathan  G4KLX author of the ircDDB Gateway software.