[drats_users] Windows using 50% CPU after running for a few minutes.

John E. Malmberg
Tue Feb 19 17:46:05 PST 2013

On 2/19/2013 12:01 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> On 2/18/2013 12:40 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>> On 2/9/2013 4:32 PM, Mike Heitmann wrote:
>>> Well, I can take a look at it with Windows XP and 7 when I get home
>>> on  Tuesday I done have anything with Windows 8 yet. We're in Orlando for
>>> Hamcation until then and I don't have a computer with me other than a
>>> Rasberry Pi to run my DVAP.
>>
>> Just downloaded and attempted installs of all the perquisites listed on
>> the web page.
>>
>> The other links are also for Python 2.5.  I did find 2.7 versions of
>> those products, except that the the
>> pygtk-all-in-one-2.24.2.win32-py2.7.msi kit requires Python 2.7 32 bit,
>> not 64 bit.
>>
>> So I now have installed:
>>
>> Eclipse with PyDev
>>
>> gtk-2.12.9-win32-2
>> gtk-dev-2.12.9-win32-2
>>
>> python 2.7.3 32 bit.
>> pywin32-218.win-py2.7
>> pyserial 2.5.tar.gz
>> pygtk-all-in-one-2.24.2.win32-py2.7
    libxml2-python-2.7.7.win32-py2.7
    d_rats/version.py from d-rats-0.3.3

> The next dependency is that when I try to run that daily build of
> d-rats, it can not find the aspell binary so it exits.  I will install
> the win32 build of that tomorrow with the english dictionary as I am out
> of time tonight.

I installed aspell, but do not have it installed so that d-rats can find
the binary.  It turns out that the error message is a red-herring and
not what was keeping it from running.

What is needed though is libxml2-python-2.7.7.win32-py2.7 and version.py
was missing from the development snapshot.

I copied/modified version.py from the 0.3.3 source tarball, and was able
to get d-rats to run.

I can duplicate the issue with the CPU utilization.  Now I need to
figure out how to find out where it is looping.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only