[drats_users] What do I Tell my Friends??

John Davis
Wed Feb 6 13:37:49 PST 2013

Sometimes, hams just get set on one particular mode and are not open to new things.  D-RATS is not the answer for every EmComm use, but does offer some new features you can't get on packet.  D-STAR's low speed data is similar in speed to Packet, but D-RATS offers a lot more features in a very intuitive application.  You can get Packet applications where one will do this and one will do something different, but none put several useful functions together in on application.

Also, it's appealing to do voice and data in one radio with a simple one cable connection between the PC and the radio.  No TNC or sound card interface is needed.

I have more success getting people to at least consider D-RATS by actually demonstrating it.  Once someone sees the file transfer, messaging, forms transfer and position reporting all in one app, they get a lot more open minded.  It's also interesting that they don't have to have a D-STAR radio to use D-RATS.  If someone sets up a Ratflector with a radio and connected to the Internet, it gets even more powerful and lets users access its features on a radio or on the Internet.

John WB4QDX

From: drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of DESloan at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:23 PM
To: drats_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: [drats_users] What do I Tell my Friends??

I am trying to get several other hams who are also in our local RACES group to give D-Rats a try. So far they continue working on getting packet up and working locally. But, are showing no interest in using D-Rats. What else can I tell the as to why they should try D-Rats?

Thanks,
Dave Sloan N0EOP
EXAMS Chair Dayton Hamvention (r) 2013
c 765-969-2212