[drats_users] d-rats thru dstar repeater

Rolan O. Clark
Tue Mar 27 07:28:01 PDT 2012

Mike,

Thanks much for  the input and the reply. I’ll so some more testing, that was a quick one time test and yes, good idea on the voice announcements so others will know what is happening.  What I don’t know is if digi stuff I am sending is longer than my voice message how does someone listening know there is still data being sent if they don’t look at the s-meter or wait until a scroll announces the digi data is finished and then the repeater stops transmitting ??

We’ll find out but any input is always welcome,

Take care,

73 de rolan w3fdk

From: Mike Heitmann
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:01 AM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] d-rats thru dstar repeater

>We now have a dstar repeater and while talking to another station, no reflectors connected, I can send a file and its received by the other station while I am talking  but , >while  talking  if I send a message from the text window the message  doesn’t send.
>
>No problem, just  curious if that is normal.

Hi Roland,

You should be able to send chat text while talking. I always announce myself when running D-RATS through our local repeater just to prevent annoying the voice users with the constant  "kerchunking" (for lack of a better term) of the repeater when D-RATS sends data. I also change the radio message to read something like "Mike on D-RATS" to give a better idea of what is going on to anyone monitoring.

That said, I haven't tried it in a while, or with the latest version of D-RATS.

I would not expect D-RATS to be able to transfer a file or a message of any size over an RF channel while talking on the same radio, or while another QSO is in progress on the same frequency.

73,
Mike, N0SO