[drats_users] d-rats thru dstar repeater

Mike Heitmann
Tue Mar 27 07:01:01 PDT 2012

>We now have a dstar repeater and while talking to another station, no reflectors
>connected, I can send a file and its received by the other station while I am
>talking  but , >while  talking  if I send a message from the text window the
>message  doesn’t send.
>

>No problem, just  curious if that is normal.

Hi Roland,

You should be able to send chat text while talking. I always announce myself
when running D-RATS through our local repeater just to prevent annoying the
voice users with the constant  "kerchunking" (for lack of a better term) of the
repeater when D-RATS sends data. I also change the radio message to read
something like "Mike on D-RATS" to give a better idea of what is going on to
anyone monitoring.

That said, I haven't tried it in a while, or with the latest version of D-RATS.

I would not expect D-RATS to be able to transfer a file or a message of any size
over an RF channel while talking on the same radio, or while another QSO is in
progress on the same frequency.

73,
Mike, N0SO