[drats_users] IC-746 PRO

Andy Lavarre
Thu Sep 1 18:06:20 PDT 2011

> Patrick, hi thanks.

Trying to get my head around all this digital stuff...

+ I have an SCS PTCIIe Pactor modem. Googling and reading the manual
tells me that it is also a TNC with a zillion different modes (still
reading, I'm sure one of them must be KISS...)

I had used it ten years ago as a Pactor II modem for AirMail from a
boat, but never investigated its other potentials, which are apparently
voluminous and haven't used it since, so a bit of a learning curve all
over again...

It is connected to the '746 with an RCA plug to the ACC socket, and has
a PC connector as a normal Serial connector. with which I assume I can
use with a serial-USB adapter to connect to my spare laptop, then load
D-RATS on the laptop. Or I may find or build a direct RCA-USB
connector... Idle hands...

I know about Being Bad And Off Topic, so won't pursue here, but I'd like
to connect with a similar mailing list on a more general digital amateur
radio topic. Any suggestions? In the "old days" I'd go to NNTP, but that
seems generally to have faded. Yes, I can Google, but experience trumps
experimentation any time.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, the Adapter is a bit dear for my
current budget so I'll have just to do it the hard way... If I win the
lottery I'll get an ICOM IC-9100 ($3700 from Universal Radio), but that
didn't happen in last night's Powerball!

:-)

Thanks again, 73, Andy