[drats_users] d-rats_repeater -C with aprx working

Pentti Gronlund
Sat May 28 08:04:56 PDT 2011

IZ5FSA, Leo writes:

> On a industrial mini board I need to minimize everything, even GUI. But I
> can operate D-RATS station remotely by running only  d-rats_repeater -C  on
> this little board. So I have solved my troubles and my needs.

We are running VIA 533MHz mini-ITX machines at our sites with Debian
Linux.

The reason is that we got lots of those free from security installations,
they consume much less power than desktop machines, and they run on 24V
what makes battery backup very easy (yeah, you guessed it, again from
security installations).

Those also have 4 serial ports which is handy with APRS/D-RATS.

I can tend to the boxes anywhere. Try running a virtual desktop on a
GPRS connection, best of luck!

With 0.3.3b6 and port 9500 I finally got myself to start testing
d-rats_repeater with aprx. The combination has been feeding the GPS-A
locations to APRS-IS for a while now.

And thanks to Leo, I finally found the courage to test this without
a graphic console. I think I found a new friend, when started in a
right sequence, everything works like a charm.

First you have to start the d-rats_repeater once to make this file
(the filenames are what I have here):

/home/benjamin/.d-rats/repeater.conf

It should look like this:

[tweaks]
allow_gps =

[settings]
gpsport = 9500
acceptnet = True
netport = 9000
devices = [('/dev/ttyS3', '9600')]
trust_local = True
state = False
idfreq = 30
id = OH3R**
require_auth = False

Make the serial port on the devices line to suit your configuration.

Then you have to edit a network port in aprx to transfer the GPS-A
locations further to APRS-IS. Edit /etc/aprx.conf to have the lines
here:

<interface>
   tcp-device 127.0.0.1 9500 DPRS
   callsign    OH3R**  # must define actual callsign
   tx-ok       false           # DPRS monitor can not do transmit
</interface>

Make sure that d-star_repeater is started before aprx.

Dan and Leo, thanks!

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!