[drats_users] Fwd: D-RATS - Messages Store & Forward Info

Jonathan Naylor
Fri May 27 04:55:09 PDT 2011

> Il 26/05/2011 21:16, Dan Smith ha scritto:
> >
> >> Last but not the least... how much does it cost to
> run D-RATS in a terminal (no
> >> GUI) mode?
> > Hah, you snuck that one in there, eh?
> ;-) yeah...
> >   This would require a ton of work
> > and isn't something I'm likely to get around to any
> time soon (like,
> > ever).  The best I can offer you is running it
> inside a VNC session on a
> > headless machine :)
> >

> Ok. Don't rewrite all the code.
> I think I can do it using a d-rats_repeater on no GUI
> machine and a D-RATS anywhere.
> This is the best way, isn't it?

Why do people in the 21st century insist on running systems without GUIs? Unless your server/PC is terminally old, then running a GUI is no big deal in terms of CPU or memory usage.

Professionally we run many remote systems, both Linux and Windows, with GUIs and use VNC to access them, and it makes life so much easier to administer and look at the software status online.

If this were 1991 I would agree about the need for non-GUI software, but it isn't, and people should move on.

> 73 de Leo IZ5FSA

Jonathan  G4KLX