[drats_users] D-RATS support in the ircDDB Gateway

Dan Smith
Sun Feb 27 14:07:03 PST 2011

> Thanks for getting back to me. My software, ircDDB Gateway, allows a
> D-Star repeater front-end (sound card or GMSK modem) to talk to the
> ircDDB network, and also includes access to DPlus and DExtra as well
> as repeater and callsign routing. Just for fun I also added a GPS-A
> to aprs.fi interface some time ago. The interface between the
> front-end and the gateway is a cut down version of the Icom ID-RP2C
> protocol, although real Icom repeater hardware is also supported.

Ah, I see.  I guess I didn't know the difference between ircDDB and the
similarly-named gateway.

> I have no idea what they want to be able to do, but it would be
> remiss of me not to investigate the possibility of interfacing it.

I imagine what they want to do is be able to run D-RATS at the gateway
machine, allowing people coming in over RF to speak to that instance.

If you could provide a socket by which D-RATS can send and receive the
serial (slow) data stream, that would be all that is necessary.  D-RATS
knows nothing of the lower-level D-STAR protocol, so its "network"
support right now just treats a socket like a serial line.

> All of my work is open source by the way.

What a concept! :)