[drats_users] d-rats repeater errors on Unbuntu Lucid (10.04LTS)

Craig Gunther
Sun Aug 28 11:20:53 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I've had a d-rats repeater running on WinXP for some time.  Now I want to move it to Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

Thanks to Steve Conklin's hampackages this is fairly painless:
    cgunther$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sconklin/hampackages
    cgunther$ sudo apt-get update
    cgunther$ sudo apt-get install d-rats
That all worked great and I can run Ubuntu d-rats and attach to my WinXP d-rats repeater just fine.

When I try to launch the d-rats repeater on Ubuntu I get the following error message:
  cgunther$ d-rats_repeater
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/d-rats_repeater", line 27, in <module>
      from d_rats import platform
  ImportError: No module named d_rats
  cgunther$

Here's a big guess on my part.  I'm not a Python programmer, but it appears to be looking for D-RATS.mo in several locations without finding it.  But is does exist in:
   /usr/share/d-rats/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/D-RATS.mo
If I rename this file I get the same error message.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?  Do I need to set some python environment variable?
- Craig