[drats_users] D-Rats Slow Data is Garbled - Packet doesn't decode

Mike Heitmann
Mon Nov 1 07:19:29 PDT 2010

Tom,

I have a 2820 that I use for D-RATS all the time and it works fine.

 All D-STAR radios suffer from lack of error correcton for low speed data (there
isn't any the my knowledge). Any errors along the way will cause what you
describe.

A couple of things (you probably know this already, thanks for your patience):
1. With the '92AD, make sure the "power save" feature is OFF. If it's on, the
'92 radio will miss at least part of the data header and slow speed data will
not work.
2. Make sure the GPS features are turned OFF on both radios - GPS reporting uses
the low speed data channel too.
3. There is zero error correction for low speed data - any packet loss will make
it fail. Could something be de-sensing the receive input to one radio or the
other? I've had that problem with my '92 when it sitting next to the PC.
4. If you have not done so already, try configuring the 2820 to use it's built -
in GPS to report DPRS position via your local repeater gateway. The radio uses
the low speed data channel to report position. If that works then the low speed
data channel is working.
5. Experiment with a terminal emulator connected to the 2820 and the 92. The
RS92 software has a terminal program built into it that will let you send text
data, and you can check the boxes for sniff and raw data in the D-RATS -> Radio
-> Port configuration menus to get d-rats to display the raw data received. Or
use a terminal emulator program. Until that works reliably, D-RATS will not work
either.

Hope you get it going,
Mike, N0SO