[drats_users] More Help Please

Dan Smith
Mon Mar 15 18:44:24 PDT 2010

> That's the first thing I checked. I'm finding out that if I unplug
> the USB cable and plug it or another Serial-to USB adapter back into
> the netbook D-RATS won't find the port again until I re-boot the PC
> with the new cable plugged in. I just finished testing with another
> stn on a local repeater and it works OK. I've been switching radios
> and USB adapters to see if that made a difference and I guess D-RATS
> gets confused.  :-) Resetting the radio never helped. I haven't got
> around to trying the desktop yet. Been checking into local nets here.

This is a Windows (well, any Operating System) thing.  If you unplug the
USB adapter while a program has the COM port open, it can't assign it
the same COM port when you re-insert the USB adapter until the program
that has it open lets go of it.  D-RATS can't tell that you've unplugged
the USB device that is underneath the virtual COM port, so it can't do
anything about it.

Also, unlike most other operating systems, Windows likes to renumber the
virtual COM port constantly, depending on how, when and where you plug
in the adapter.  Obviously if you tell D-RATS to use COM5 and then your
USB adapter later hops to COM6, you'll have to tell D-RATS that it changed.