[drats_users] Daemon version of D-RATS for Linux?

Dan Smith
Thu Jun 10 07:47:41 PDT 2010

> Y'know, it strikes me that an ideal place to park a D-RATS server
> instance (capable of email gatewaying etc) would be on the G2 server
> itself. That way your local RF users could have D-RATS Internet access etc.

Yep, it's been suggested many-a-time.

> The D-RATS instance could communicate with the radio stack in the same
> way that DPLUS and others do - by forwarding their pre-assembled packets
> to the repeater controller's APIlike thing. Very similar in fact to the
> way that D-RATS and DVAR can swap data.

Yeah, the problem is, it seems wildly irresponsible to create yet
another D-STAR protocol (reverse) implementation to sit right next to
the other two already on the box.  I've asked Robin about adding a data
socket to dplus.  I think the availability of such an interface would be
the signal that it's time to put D-RATS on the gateway box :)