[drats_users] D-RATS email

William Waters
Wed Jul 21 09:17:19 PDT 2010

OK - sometimes I can't see the forest because of the trees, and I assume
this to be the case here.

My goal - Send an email from a Radio connected D-RATS client to an internet
email account.

I must be missing something as I can't figure out how to do this.  If I
select "Connect to Internet" and use the ref.d-rats.com:9001connection I can
send emails and receive them just fine.  But not via the Radio.

- I link my local repeater W6DHS__B to REF015C and get the voice
notification that it is linked

- I verify the link by looking at the REF015C dashboard and see the linked
repeater in the list

- Go into the 'Chat' mode and 'Ping' and see that the radio keys and that it
looks to be talking.

- Disable my internet connection by turning off the WiFi in the notebook and
'un-check' the Connect To Internet selection (if I don't do this the email
come and go with no radio activity so it has to be going over the internet
connection)

- Compose an email and try to send it as I do when  connected via the
internet.

- Nothing ever is sent, message sits in the Outbox.

So, I know that I am close; What I think I am doing wrong is that I am not
sending my email via the right path.  Actually I don't know what path to
use.

Q: IS there a device out in the D-STAR universe that I can rout emails
through when using the Radio Link?

Q: Can I set up my own device to send the email to that will then forward
them on to the internet?

Q: Can I use a second computer running the D-RATS Network Proxy application
with no Radio connection, Internet only to rout the emails through?

Q: Once I connect to the REF015C link, how do I rout my emails to the
internet?

Thanks for the help,

Will - N7IPY

engineer1 at surewest.net