[drats_users] First Mail Attempt via Radio

William Waters
Fri Jul 16 07:41:00 PDT 2010

All,

Well I made my first attempt at sending an email via the Radio last night
but I don't know if it really worked.  I say this because I noticed after
most of my testing I had the "Connect to Internet" box checked in the File
Pull Down Menu even though the only device selected in the Preferences |
Radio was the COM port device attached to my radio.

My previous tests were done using the 'net:ref.d-rats:9000 and 9001'
ratflectors to send test emails and that worked fine.  Last night I
connected the IC-80AD to the computer and tried to link the K6MDD B node to
"REF015C" (The Dashboard link for the K6MDD repeater did not work last night
so I could not verify I had the link up) and send and receive emails over
the air.

I was able to send and receive test emails from within d-rats I just don't
think they always were via radio.  So I must assume I still have something
mis-configured but the software is pretty straight forward, so I m not sure
what Im doing wrong.

So a few more questions:

1. Has the group found that some USB/Serial dongles are better than others
with Vista.  The one I am currently using 'GUC232A' by IOGEAR works great
when using the Icom memory/configuration application 'CS_80-880' to talk to
the radio.  In last nights' tests sometimes the radio would key and
sometimes it would not, and all physical connections were solid.

2. Does the "Connect to Internet" option override all other connection
settings?

3. Am I linking to the right device 'REF015C' to be able to send email
traffic over d-star?

Im going to read up on the process of setting the YOUR field on the radio
today as I sometimes wonder if I was getting the right value to YOUR to
bring up the link in the first place.

I know Im close,

Thanks for any suggestions and answers to the above questions.

73 de Will - N7IPY