[drats_users] checking that email is working in XP?

Debbie Fligor
Thu Jul 15 08:06:04 PDT 2010

at long last I got a computer in my shack to be a dedicated d-rats box. the repeater is currently on the 9001 ref.d-rats.com reflector, accepting direct connections and on VHF simplex (145.530 on a 25' J-pole @ 5 watts).  when I'm more sure things are stable and working on my end, I'll pull it off the 9001 reflector and just be local.

I've got 0.3.3b2 installed. it's a windows XPSP3 box (I've been patching once every night, I'm past SP3 but probably not fully current yet on patches, as it's installed less than 50, and I know commonly going from SP2 to current is more like 80+)

so the next thing I started working on was setting up email accounts, so that it can send/receive email.  I set things up just like they are on my Mac, but I never see it try and connect to gmail.com in the event log or debug log.  I've never set up the email side on windows, so I'm wondering if 1) I just missed something or 2) this particular beta isn't doing email checks on windows (it's working fine on my Mac).  I know the "connected to internet" button is checked.

XP/Windows is the OS that stumps me the most often (Mac and *nix flavors is where I spend most of my time), so do assume it could be an operator error in making suggestions.

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn
A.R.E.S of Champaign County AEC