[drats_users] D-RATS and the Dongle vs radio

Ted Wrobel
Wed Jan 27 05:54:17 PST 2010

Last night our D-Star net did some experimenting with D-RATS chat.

We had three people on radios to the local repeater and three people using
dongles.

Despite much messing around we ended with the following observations.

1. All three radio users were able to consistently 'hear' each of the other
radio users

2. All of the dongle users were able to hear all six users

3. One radio user was able to hear the dongle users

4. Two radio userss could not hear the dongle users. (Except for occasional
fragments)

Since the radios were listening to the same repeater, what might have made
the dongle users invisible?

One suspicion is that somehow the transmissions from the dongle users were
weaker than the radio uers. This makes some sense because the radio that
heard the dongles had the best path to the repeater. However, voice comms
with the dongle users worked fine.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior? Any suggestions?

Thanks & 73
Ted
W1GRI