[drats_users] Text message to radio display?

Dan Smith
Sun Jan 24 20:40:41 PST 2010

> Can D-RATS send short messages to my radio's display?
>
> This feature is available with a "proper" repeater running the DPLUS
> software (we have out local one blatting out the time/date every half
> hour) so I would assume it's not too hard to do?

Nope, that's not possible from the data interface of the radios.  The
radio takes the data you send and wraps it up in the D-STAR stream.  It
unwraps it on the other end, so you never get to see the next layer down.

You could do it with a 91/92AD and rig control, presumably, but that
would be rather different.  DPLUS can do it because it has access to the
entire stream, not just the slow data bits.