[drats_users] Question about runtime python on Mac

Dan Smith
Sun Aug 29 13:46:36 PDT 2010

> It doesn't look like any path variables got modified. I'm guessing
> that the d-rats*.app alone looks for that specific absolute path to
> its own Python library. Is that correct? That's my question.

Correct.  Since the app calls the python binary directly from there,
there shouldn't be any noticeable effect to the rest of your system.
The use of /opt is proper here for an add-on package and adding my
callsign to it should be plenty unique to avoid any collisions.

You are, of course, welcome to run the source directly using another
runtime on your system if it is sufficiently equipped, but I'm trying to
make the .app and the runtime as much of an "out of the box" solution
for most Mac users.