[drats_users] Drats proxy on G2 server progress?

Dan Smith
Wed Aug 11 11:09:59 PDT 2010

> The obvious architecture for D-Rats/Ratflectors is to have a number of
> nodes in the field consisting of a simple mobile radio with attached
> computer connected to the Internet.  This network of Ratflectors are
> then connected to a central regional aggregating Ratflector that has a
> static known IP address. Internet connected users connect to this
> central ratflector.  The field stations (nodes) announce their
> availability and frequency by beaconing their presence as a position
> report.  As you travel through an area you connect to this self
> advertising network of participating stations.  If all of these nodes
> are interconnected then it doesn't matter which node you enter the
> system at, your transmission will be repeated by all.

Yes, I see that as the preferred way as well.  The only thing we have to
be careful about is the "repeated by all" part, which doesn't scale.
However, the current ratflector code should only do this in the
following cases:

1. Chat messages destined for all
2. The first packet to an unknown (or expired) station

Other than that, file transfer and other station-to-station traffic
should, for the most part, be routed from the source to the destination
without requiring everyone's transmitter to key.

The public ratflector(s) that I run are certainly available to support
this sort of thing.