[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.3b1

Dan Smith
Fri Apr 23 09:59:51 PDT 2010

> I think I have undestood *nothing* at all.
> Can you find a bit of youre spare time to explain it better?

Okay, here goes:

The purpose of the POP3 and SMTP server modules are to allow interfacing
a normal mail client to D-RATS.  Multiple clients can talk to one D-RATS
instance.

When you create a message in the mail client, you can address it one of
three ways:

  1. To an email address
  2. To a @winlink.org address
  3. To a CALLSIGN at d-rats.com

Obviously #1 will cause it to be created as an email form and sent via
email.  #2 will change the address to a callsign and put "WL2K:" in
front so that it will use the Winlink gateway.  #3 will just strip the
"@d-rats.com" and leave the callsign.  The purpose of this is to allow
your mail client to see something that looks like an email address for
plain stations.

When mail is checked over POP3, the server will examine either the Inbox
or the Outbox depending on the POP3 username.  If the username is the
same as the configured callsign, it will report messages that are in the
Inbox.  If the POP3 username is a foreign callsign, then the server will
examine the Outbox and report only messages that are addressed to that
callsign.

Does that help?