[drats_users] Linux Neophyte...

Charles Story
Sun Oct 25 02:16:17 PDT 2009

Dan,

Thanks for the help with this.

Go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package manager and make sure
the following tools are installed:

  python-serial
  python-gtk2
  python-libxml2
  python-libxslt1

                                 I do have all of these tools

After that, you should download the Linux source from the download page.
It will save on your desktop by default.

It didn't default to the desktop.  It wants to open it with the 'Archive Manager'.

Then go to Applications ->
Accessories -> Terminal.  When it opens, type the following:

  cd Desktop
  tar xzf d-rats-0.3.1.tar.gz
  cd d-rats-0.3.1
  sudo python setup.py install

After I type in this string and hit enter, I get 'No such file or directory'.   (not able to type into the terminal as shown here, just one long string).

After that, you should have a D-RATS launcher in your Applications menu.
I really should have a cleaner package for Linux users to just click
and install, but most know how to do it this way so I'm lazy :)

If that doesn't work or you hit a snag, I'll be glad to help you in more
detail.